Thursday, April 28, 2016

Who are you boasting in?


Behind and underneath all this there is a holy, God-planted, God-tended root. If the primary root of the tree is holy, there's bound to be some holy fruit. Some of the tree's branches were pruned and you wild olive shoots were grafted in. Yet the fact that you are now fed by that rich and holy root gives you no cause to crow over the pruned branches. Remember, you aren't feeding the root; the root is feeding you. Romans 11:16-18 The Message

What a key thing to remember - we aren't feeding the root, the root is feeding us. The Amplified Bible puts it this way...

Do not boast over the branches and pride yourself at their expense. If you do boast and feel superior, remember it is not you that support the root, but the root [that supports] you. Romans 11:18 AMP

We are nothing without God. He supports us. He guides us. Jesus, His Son, completely understood His relationship with God, His Father.

I am able to do nothing from Myself [independently, of My own accord - but only as I am taught by God an as I get His orders]. Even as I hear, I judge [I decide as I am bidden to decide. As the voice comes to Me, so I give a decision], and My judgement is right (just, righteous), because I do not seek or consult My own will [I have no desire to do what is pleasing to Myself, My own aim, My own purpose] but only the will and pleasure of the Father Who sent me. John 5:30 AMP

We can easily look at the good things that are happening in our lives and take the credit, forgetting that our Heavenly Father has been alongside us, guiding us, carrying us, loving us. Let's think about who we are boasting in - us or Our God?

Some trust in and boast of chariots and some of horses, but we will trust in and boast of the name of the Lord our God. Psalm 20:7 AMP

Question for today, are you conscious of the root that is constantly feeding you, in every aspect of your life? The One who is providing you with life, day in and day out. The One who loves you and is worthy of your boast.

In God we have made our boast all the day long, and we will give thanks to Your name forever. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]! Psalm 44:8 AMP


No comments: