Thursday, December 22, 2016

Are you well positioned?

The other morning as I was out walking, I noticed that at the base of this tree, only one side of the tree had fallen yellow berries. I looked up at this tree, which I have walked past many times before, and saw one side of ripened, yellow berries, and one side of green, unripened berries. The Holy Spirit quickened to me, 'Make sure you are well positioned'. 

This morning as I asked the Holy Spirit some more about those words, He led me to the story of Mary and Martha in Luke 10.

Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus' feet and heard His word. But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, "Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me."

And Jesus answered her and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:38-42 NKJV

I know you have probably heard this story before, and some of you, like me, have the tendency to be a Martha, and it takes very purposeful action to stop and sit at Jesus' feet. But I have found the more I do exactly that, stop and sit at Jesus' feet, all those other tasks always get taken care of anyway (Well, the tasks God wants me to do).

Where we position ourselves, in relation to Jesus, is so important. For me, I want to be like the yellow berries, fully exposed to what brings us life, in the berries' case the sun, and in my case, Jesus, the Son of God.

The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10 NKJV

Jesus tells us that He chose us and that we should bear fruit.

You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you. These things I command you, that you love one another. John 15:16-17 NKJV

To bear fruit we need to be well positioned, connected to Him, taking time to listen to Him, so that our thoughts, words and actions align with Him.

Question for today, how are you positioned with Jesus? Firstly, is He your Lord and Saviour? If yes, how much of your life are you allowing Him to be Lord of? That process is a continual journey, so today, let's take time to sit at the feet of Jesus and talk with Him about our lives, asking Him which part needs to be re-positioned next.

But the Lord replied to her by saying, Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things; There is need of only one or but a few things. Mary has chosen the good portion [that which is to her advantage], which shall not be taken away from her. Luke 10:41-42 AMP




No comments: