Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Are you remembering times of despair or times of victory?

I'll never forget the trouble, the utter lostness, 
the taste of the ashes, the poison I've swallowed.
I remember it all - oh, how well I remember - 
the feeling of hitting the bottom.
But there's one other thing I remember,
and remembering, I keep a grip on hope.
Lamentations 3:19-21 The Message

Life. Experiences. Memories. Which experiences do you remember most? The times of despair? The times of victory? Which memories give you hope? 

The next few verses of Lamentations clearly show which memories gave Jeremiah hope ...

GOD's loyal love couldn't have run out, 
his merciful love couldn't have dried up.
They're created new every morning.
How great your faithfulness!
I'm sticking with GOD (I say it over and over).
He's all I've got left.
Lamentations 3:22-24 The Message

Memories of God's loyal and merciful love. Memories of God's faithfulness every day. He chose to stick with God, and had to keep reminding himself of that choice. He acknowledged that there was no-one else he could put his hope in.

The Lord is my portion or share, says my living being (my inner self); therefore will I hope in Him and wait expectantly for Him. Lamentations 3:24 AMP 

And while we are waiting with hope in our hearts, the scripture tells us it's a good thing to quietly hope.

GOD proves to  be good to the man who passionately waits, to the woman who diligently seeks. 
It's a good thing to quietly hope,
quietly hope for help from GOD.
Lamentations 3:25-26 The Message

Yes, I must say that I've found that it is of little use doing a tantrum in the waiting. I have found that it doesn't change God's plan or His timing. It only serves to make me feel a bit silly afterwards, asking, why did I expend all that emotional energy? The wiser course of action is to do exactly as the scripture says,

When life is heavy and hard to take, 
go off by yourself. Enter the silence.
Bow in prayer. Don't ask questions:
Wait for hope to appear.
Don't run from trouble. Take it full-face.
The "worst" is never the worst.
Lamentations 3:28-30 The Message

Question for today, what is it that you are remembering? Are those memories helping you to wait with hope? If not, talk to Jesus, ask Him to help you focus on Him and all He has done for you. 

The Lord is good to those who wait hopefully and expectantly for Him, to those who seek Him [inquire of and for Him by right of necessity and on the authority of God's word]. It is good that one should hope in and wait quietly for the salvation (the safety and ease) of the Lord. Lamentations 3:25-26 AMP


 

No comments: