Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Why bother going to church?

Most times, probably up to 95%, when I write this blog I have no idea what I am going to write. As I sit down to write, with no prior thoughts about the post, I normally say, 'Holy Spirit what do you want me to share today?' And then the words just start to come. When I've finished I read back through it once or twice, often surprised as what has been written.

This morning was a little different. For some reason I was thinking about this blog post before I got out of bed. It was as if the Holy Spirit was wanting to make sure I was hearing clearly from Him. So I am praying this post is a blessing to you.

Why bother going to church? And why bother going every week especially when you are tired, worn out and just need rest?

I am sure there are many theological reasons for joining with other believers to worship Jesus, receive teaching and fellowship together. But today I want to share a couple of recent experiences that have reminded me that there is another reason for going to church regardless of what your feelings are saying..... God has something to say to you that you really need to hear.

Story #1 - Late last year one Sunday at church our Pastor was sharing a story about integrity and 'taking the high road' when there were other reasonable options. These words, 'taking the high road' stayed with me. A few months later I understood why, Ken and I were faced with a tricky situation where there were a few options. One option would cost us financially and emotionally, but would benefit someone else greatly. That was the high road option. It was what we believed God wanted us to do. Choosing that road and staying on it was a test of character for both of us. It was definitely not the easy option.

I believe that without hearing those words at church, we could have chosen a different path that would have ultimately caused a lot more pain for all involved. 'Taking the high road' is not something we normally hear in this world - the message via media is usually, look after yourself, protect yourself, don't give more than is required or deserved, you might miss out. But God tells us His ways are higher. 

For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9 AMP

We don't know why we had to go through that test, but we do know that we did it God's way and we can rest in that, believing that He worked all things together for good.

Story #2 - This week, about an hour before we were to go to church, Ken and I were having a rather heated discussion, actually it was an emotionally draining argument, the likes of which we have not had for years. Note, Ken and I had had a beautiful night away at the Crown Plaza Terrigal on Friday night - children free, an experience we haven't had for years either!

Anyway at a pause point in the argument I went outside to bring in the clothes from the washing racks. As I was unpegging clothes a thought came into my mind, there must be something that will be said at church tonight that we need to hear, and the enemy is trying to stop us getting there. Okay, I went back in side, determined that regardless of what was happening, we were all going to  church.

I would like to say I went back inside and then everything was smooth sailing and we went off to church as a happy family, but that's not what happened. Enough to say that we went to church, but some of us were far from happy.

Guess what the sermon was about? The enemy and his lies. Us, facing opposition and learning to build resilience. A key line for me was, 'It only looks like satan has won - there is another move.' (for anyone interested in listening to this sermon it will probably be on the Macquarie Life Church - Podcast later in the week - Sunday 16th July 6pm service). 

All of our family left that church service with a very big reminder about the spiritual realm and the impact it has on our lives, individually and as a family.

Be well-balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious as all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour. 1 Peter 5:8 AMP

So what if we hadn't pushed through and gone to church? The argument probably would have continued, causing more hurt for everyone involved, increasing the need for forgiveness and emotional healing. We would have missed the opportunity to completely surrender our issues to God and receive emotional healing during an amazing time of worship. We would have missed out on teaching about the bigger picture of what is happening in the supernatural, and that we need to continually lean on God.

Withstand him; be firm in faith [against his onset - rooted, established, strong, immovable, and determined], knowing that the same (identical) sufferings are appointed to your brotherhood (the whole body of Christians) throughout the world. 1 Peter 5:9 AMP

We would have missed the opportunity to hear as a family that 'There is another move, there are things working in the spiritual realm for us.'

What then shall we say to [all] this? If God is for us, who [can be] against us? [Who can be our foe, if God is on our side?] Romans 8:31 AMP

So on those Sundays when you feel you are just too tired to go to church, or there is some emotional upheaval that is draining you, I encourage you to push through and go, because it is highly likely that, God has something to say to you that you really need to hear.

I will praise You, O Lord, with my whole heart; I will show forth (recount and tell aloud) all Your marvelous works and wonderful deeds! I will rejoice in You and be in high spirits; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High! Psalm 9:1-2 AMP




 


No comments: