Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Let's encourage one another

Yesterday in my quiet time I was reading from Philippians chapter 3 in The Message Bible. I found myself being so thankful for that version of the bible with it's every day language. 

I could so easily visualise Paul speaking to a group of us, encouraging us to keep going, reminding us to keep looking to Jesus and not let ourselves get distracted. Reminding us of who we are in Christ and our future with Him. 

Let's have a read of the passage together, starting at Philippians 3:12  ...

I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have made it. But I am well on the way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wonderously reached out for me.

Pause - Can you picture this? Us reaching out for Christ, ever growing in the understanding that He reached out for us before we even knew we needed Him. 

Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward - to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.

Pause - Can you picture this? Jesus, standing on the horizon and us, eyes looking only to Him. Every step we take goes in His direction, the right direction.

So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision - you'll see it yet! Now that we're on the right track, let's stay on it. 

Pause - Some questions, what is it that you want from God? Is your vision blurred in an area? If so, ask God to clear it, so you can see the next step and align your actions with Him.

Stick with me, friends. Keep track of those you see running the same course, headed for this same goal. There are many out there taking other paths, choosing other goals, and trying to get you to go along with them. I've warned you of them many times; sadly, I'm having to do it again. All they want is easy street. They hate Christ's Cross. But easy street is a dead-end street. Those who live there make their bellies their gods, belches are their praise; all they can think of is their appetites. 

Pause - Some more questions - who are you running this race with? Are they headed for the same goal? 

But there's far more to life for us. We're citizens of high heaven! We're waiting the arrival of the Saviour, the Master, Jesus Christ, who will transform our earthly bodies into glorious bodies like his own. He'll make us beautiful and whole with the same powerful skill by which he is putting everything as it should be, under and around him.

Pause - Can you picture this? A life beyond here on earth. A life where we are beautiful and whole. A life where there's no tears and no pain (Revelation 21:4). 

My dear, dear friends! I love you so much. I do want the very best for you. You make me feel such joy, fill me with such pride. Don't waver. Stay on track, steady in God. Philippians 4:1 The Message

Pause - Let's give thanks for those who we run this race with, who encourage us and lift us up. Those who intercede for us and stand in the gap when we are weak. 

Let's pray;

Heavenly Father, thank you for Your mercy and Your grace in our lives. Thank you for Eugene H. Peterson and The Message Bible, that it enables us to hear Your truth in a contemporary way. Thank you for those beautiful people You bring into our lives to encourage us to say the path, and who gently nudge us when we are wavering. Thank you Jesus that you are ahead of us, calling us on when we are tired and weary, continually reaching out for us. Thank you that You are our hope. Thank you for heaven and life eternal with You Help us to choose You always. In the precious name of Jesus we pray, Amen.

Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in Him!
Philippians 4:4 The Message 

 
 







No comments: