Monday, August 14, 2017

Called into companionship

God is faithful (reliable, trustworthy, and therefore ever true to His promise, and He can be depended on); by Him you were called into companionship and participation with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Corinthians 1:9 AMP

For a week or so we have had coughs and colds in our house. There were a few days when four of us were bed-bound. Sickness really annoys me - the interruption to life, the pain, the tears, the disappointment of events missed, the having no choice but to stop and take a break from everyday life.

Whenever I find myself in that position, praise God it doesn't happen very often, I think about something I read in Catherine Marshall's book Something More, in search of a deeper faith. She had been in bed for a year and a half with a lung condition and in her desperation had some beautiful encounters with God, learning more of His heart and His need for us to yield completely to Him.

So in times of illness I am aware that despite the interruption and annoyance, if I can take my thoughts off my circumstances, even for only five minutes at a time (sometimes it takes me a day or so to get to that place!), there is an opportunity to experience more of that companionship with Jesus that we are called to. There comes a moment of greater intimacy that might not have happened had there been no forced stopping. The perfect time to ...

Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! Psalm 46:10 NKJV

It is a challenge for me to let the frustration of sickness go. But from my experience, when I am holding onto that frustration there is a blockage in my communication line with God. A bit like the when you have a disagreement with someone, it needs to be resolved and peace returned before you can authentically be in companionship again. I find I need to surrender those thoughts of frustration, something like, 'Here I am, please give me peace, a sound mind, and help me to hear what You have to say.' 

And He never disappoints, because He is reliable and trustworthy. Over this past week, in the time of being still (because I couldn't do anything else!) I have heard fresh things from God, both encouragement and correction. I have been reminded again of His love and desire for companionship. Thank you Jesus.

Question for today, how will you live out your companionship with Jesus today? Is there something you need to surrender to enable a closer companionship?

God, who got you started in this spiritual adventure, shares with us the life of his Son and our Master Jesus. He will never give up on you. Never forget that. 1 Corinthians 1:9 The Message






No comments: