Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Don't take yourself too seriously

Whilst doing my devotional reading on Saturday I was reading from the book of Micah, chapter 6. 


But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what GOD is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbour, be compassionate and loyal in your love. And don't take yourself too seriously, take God seriously. Micah 6v8 The Message




This last part of the verse, don't take yourself too seriously, take God seriously, has stayed in my thoughts since reading it. I am by nature generally a serious person. I would much rather have a deep and meaning conversation with someone, than have a "joke-telling fest". 

In fact, this is a bit sad, but I can't actually remember the last time that I had a good old belly laugh. Perhaps God is trying to tell me something here. Something like, cut yourself some slack, enjoy life, don't make life one continual list! Whoa, now that is a big challenge for me!

I guess with school holidays having just started I will have plenty of opportunities to enjoy just hanging out with the kids, do some crazy things in the kitchen, in the park, at the beach, that will generate some of that belly-laughing. Or it may be a case of really listening to the kids' conversations among themselves. Sometimes that is enough to start the laughing, particularly comments from a 3 year old who thinks she is a 10 year old.

Thank you Jesus for speaking to me about remembering to laugh and enjoy this wonderful life you have given me. 

The question for today, when did you last have a good old belly laugh? If like me it has been awhile, I pray that you will be laughing in the very near future.





No comments: