Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The challenge - to 'gladly glory'

But He said to me, My grace (My favour and loving-kindness and mercy) is enough for you [sufficient against any danger and enables you to bear the trouble manfully]; for My strength and power are made perfect (fulfilled and completed) and show themselves most effective in [your] weakness. 
2 Corinthians 12:9a AMP

What comfort this scripture brings when we are feeling 'all out' - all done, like there is nothing left that we can humanly do. I love it. It is a great reminder of who we are and who our God is, and all He is able to do when we surrender to Him. However, the next part of this scripture poses a bigger challenge (for me, maybe not for you).

Therefore, I will all the more gladly glory in my weaknesses and infirmities, that the strength and power of Christ (the Messiah) may rest (yes, may pitch a tent over and dwell) upon me!
So for the sake of Christ, I am well pleased and take pleasure in infirmities, insults, hardships, persecutions, perplexities and distresses; for when I am weak [in human strength], then am I [truly] strong (able, powerful in divine strength). 2 Corinthians 12:9b - 10 AMP

The challenge comes with the words, 'I will all the more gladly glory in my weaknesses and infirmities' and the 'I am well pleased and take pleasure in infirmities, insults, hardships, persecutions, perplexities and distresses;'. I don't know about you, but I am nowhere near the point that I am able to gladly glory, be well pleased and take pleasure in these things. I can see that God uses these situations to bring about good, but my flesh still screams out, 'this is hard, I don't want this to be happening, I don't want this pain in my life.'

So what do we do? We run. We run to the strong tower.

The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the [consistently] righteous man [upright and in right standing with God] runs into it and is safe, high [above evil] and strongProverbs 18:10 AMP

And we let Him love us, refresh us, and be the strength that comes from our weaknesses. We let Him show us more of who He is and what He wants to do through us.

But thanks be to God, Who in Christ always leads us in triumph [as trophies of Christ’s victory] and through us spreads and makes evident the fragrance of the knowledge of God everywhere,
For we are the sweet fragrance of Christ [which exhales] unto God, [discernible alike] among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing: 2 Corinthians 2:14-15 AMP

As we get more understanding of what God can do through us when we are weak, perhaps that understanding is what leads us to be able to 'gladly glory, be well pleased and take pleasure' in our infirmities etc. We become more able to see God's bigger picture, rather than our own story. We can see His overwhelming love for all He has created. This wider vision then enabling us to become a more malleable and willing vessel for Him. 

Question for today, do you find it difficult to 'gladly glory, be well pleased and take pleasure' in the 'negative' circumstances of your life? Why not ask God today to give you more of His perspective of the circumstance? And ask Him to help you get to the place where you can 'gladly glory' in these things. I am asking Him for this today, and expecting that He will answer and help me mature more in this area.

Grace (spiritual blessing), mercy, and [soul] peace will be with us, from God the Father and from Jesus Christ (the Messiah), the Father’s Son, in all sincerity (truth) and love. 2 john 1:3 AMP







No comments: