Sunday, August 9, 2015

You remain the same

At the beginning You existed and laid the foundations of the earth; the heavens are the work of Your hands.
They shall perish, but You shall remain and endure; yes, all of them shall wear out and become old like a garment. Like clothing You shall change them, and they shall be changed and pass away.
But You remain the same, and Your years shall have no end. Psalm 102:25-27 AMP

Those words, You remain the same, are thought provoking. Can you think of anything in your life that 'remains the same'? Buildings are built and then get knocked down, or fall down. Most of our material possessions do not last forever. They get worn out from over use, or unintentionally broken. Few physical things get passed on from generation to generation. I have a bible that was owned by my great grandmother, but I am hesitant to open it due to its fragility.

And what about us, people! Well we can take people off the list straight away - we are born, we grow, we die and leave this earth. Aside from the physical change, there is the change that happens as we (hopefully) mature and draw closer to God, dying more and more to our own ways and living more and more of God's way. We certainly do not remain the same. But there is One who does.

And [further], You, Lord did lay the foundation of the earth in the beginning, and the heavens are the works of Your hands. They will perish, but You remain and continue permanently; they will all grow old and wear out like a garment.
Like a mantle [thrown about one's self] You will roll them up, and they will be changed and replaced by others. But You remain the same, and Your years will never end nor come to failure. Hebrews 1:10-12 AMP

I don't know about you, but when I read, 'But You remain the same, and Your years will never end nor come to failure', I get a sense of stability. So when we are wavering, He remains the same, providing the stability that we can rely on and trust in.

And I say, Perished is my strength and my expectation from the Lord. [O Lord] remember [earnestly] my affliction and my misery, my wandering and my outcast state, the wormwood and the gall. 
My soul has them continually in remembrance and is bowed down within me. 
But this I recall and therefore have I hope and expectation:
It is because of the Lord's mercy and loving-kindness that we are not consumed, because His [tender] compassions fail not.
They are new every morning; great and abundant is Your stability and faithfulness. Lamentations 3:18-23 AMP

We are unreliable. God is stable and faithful.

Question for today, what or who are you putting your faith in? Is it something or someone that you can trust to be always stable and faithful? For me, there is only one I can truly always trust - 

Jesus Christ (the Messiah) is [always] the same, yesterday, today [yes] and forever (to the ages). Hebrews 13:8 AMP

So today lets' choose to trust Him, and receive this prayer for our lives.

Now may the God of peace [Who is the Author and the Giver of peace], Who bought again from among the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, by the blood [that sealed, ratified] the everlasting agreement (covenant, testament), strengthen (complete, perfect) and make you what you ought to be and equip you with everything good that you may carry out His will; [while He Himself] works in you and accomplishes that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ (the Messiah); to Whom be the glory forever and ever (to the ages of the ages). Amen (so be it). 
Hebrews 13:20-21 AMP

No comments: