Saturday, August 29, 2015

Distractions

Keep your eyes straight ahead;
ignore all sideshow distractions.
Proverbs 4:25 The Message

How easy it is to get distracted from what God wants us to be doing. One of my goals this week was to spend additional time with God in preparation for an event next week. 

Well, what do you know, not only has it been a huge week emotionally, a number of other 'seemingly' urgent and necessary tasks have come my way. It was only last night, when yet another 'activity' was asked of me, that I realised what was going on! Rather than being able to easily find time to have with God, I felt like I was being pulled and pushed in so many different directions. I had let myself get distracted.

But Martha [overly occupied and too busy] was distracted with much serving; and she came up to Him and said, Lord, is it nothing to You that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me [to lend a hand and do her part along with me]! Luke 10:40 AMP

And we know what Jesus had to say about that.

But the Lord replied to her by saying, Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things; There is need of only one or but a few things. Mary has chosen the good portion [that which is to her advantage], which shall not be taken away from her.  Luke 10:41-42 AMP

Question for today, do you find yourself getting distracted and moving your focus away from what and where God wants you to be? If so, let's ask the Holy Spirit to show us what are the distractions in our lives, and what are the God-tractions (yes, I made that word up).  And to give us the courage to put up the boundaries and say no to the distractions so we can focus on what God wants us to do with the time He gives us. Let's emulate Jesus, and do only what our Heavenly Father wants us to do.

So Jesus added, When you have lifted up the Son of Man [on the cross], you will realise (know and understand) that I am He [for Who you look] and that I do nothing of Myself (of my own accord or on My own authority), but I say [exactly] what My Father has taught me. And He Who sent Me is ever with Me; My Father has not left Me alone, for I always do what pleases Him. John 8:28-29 AMP










No comments: