Thursday, October 8, 2015

Enlarging in a time of distress

Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness (uprightness, justice and right standing with You)! You have freed me when I was hemmed in and enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me and hear my prayer. Psalm 4:1 AMP

Answer me when I call. We know that God always answers us, sometimes it is not the answer we want, and sometimes the answer takes a long time to come. It can be very painful and distressing waiting for the answer. Keeping ourselves connected with God and His people, and praying for patience are key.

Guard and keep yourselves in the love of God; expect and patiently wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah) - [which will bring you] unto life eternal. Jude 1:21 AMP

You have freed me when I was hemmed in. How do we get to that place of having freedom while being 'hemmed in'?  We are not talking about a physical freedom, but a freedom within to have peace, regardless of what your circumstance is. Maybe the question is not how, but who, Who gives us this inner peace, this freedom? Jesus.

Now while they were talking about this, Jesus Himself took His stand among them and said to them, Peace (freedom from all the distresses that are experienced as the result of sin) be to you! Luke 24:36 AMP

Enlarged me when I was in distress. When we are in distress there is often the temptation to want to run away, hide and hope it 'all' just goes away. But over the years, I have learnt and am still learning, that that is not God's way. In the times of distress He wants us to run to Him, not only so He can comfort us, but so He can enlarge us.  Enlarge our faith, enlarge our hope, enlarge our capacity to love and have compassion, enlarge our influence for Him. He enlarges us so we can stand, and can continue to stand.

For You, O Lord, are my Lamp; the Lord lightens my darkness. For by You I run through a troop; by my God I leap over a wall. As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the Lord is tried. He is a shield to all those who trust and take refuge in Him. 

For who is God but the Lord? And who is a Rock except our God? God is my strong Fortress; He guides the blameless in His way and sets him free. He makes my feet like the hinds' [firm and able]; He sets me secure and confident upon the heights.  He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze. 

You have also given me the shield of Your salvation; and Your condescension and gentleness have made me great. You have enlarged my steps under me, so that my feet have not slipped.
2 Samuel 22:29-37 AMP

Always remembering it is not us that does the enlarging, but the Lord, always the glory is His.

However, let him who boasts and glories boast and glory in the Lord. 2 Corinthians 10:17 AMP

Question for today, are you waiting for an answer to prayer, feeling hemmed in or distressed? Why not take time now to ask God to help you live out of His freedom today, and to show you what He is wanting to enlarge in your life? 

But I will sing of Your mighty strength and power; yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy and loving-kindness in the morning; for You have been a defense (a fortress and a high tower) and a refuge in the day of my distress. Unto You, O my strength, I will sing praises; for God is my Defense, my Fortress, and High Tower, the God Who shows me mercy and steadfast love. Psalm 59:16-17 AMP

No comments: