Thursday, October 15, 2015

What strength have I left?

What strength have I left, that I should wait and hope? And what is ahead of me, that I should be patient?
Is my strength and endurance that of stones? Or is my flesh made of bronze?
Is it not that I have no help in myself, and that wisdom is quite driven from me?
Job 6:11-13 AMP

There are times when we have no strength, no patience, no wisdom and no idea what is going on. We throw our hands in the air in surrender - I give up. We acknowledge, yet again, that we can't work it out ourselves. We have no help in ourselves. The Message Bible puts it this way,

Where's the strength to keep my hopes up?
What future do I have to keep me going?
Do you think I have nerves of steel?
Do you think I'm made of iron?
Do you think I can pull myself up by my bootstraps?
Why, I don't even have any boots!
Job 6:11-13 The Message

The questions come thick and fast, What is going on here? How much more do we have to bear? When is enough enough?  Then enters self control - a fruit of the Spirit - and the questions stop. The focus shifts. The small still voice speaks. The scriptures come and ministry starts.

Moreover [let us also be full of joy now!] let us exult and triumph in our troubles and rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that pressure and affliction and hardship produce patient and unswerving endurance.
And endurance (fortitude) develops maturity of character (approved faith andtried integrity). And character [of this sort] produces [the habit of]joyful and confident hope of eternal salvation.
Such hope never disappoints or deludes or shames us, for God’s love has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit Who has been given to us.
While we were yet in weakness [powerless to help ourselves], at the fitting time Christ died for (in behalf of) the ungodly.
Romans 5:3-6 AMP

Let us exult and triumph in our troubles. That is such a big ask! My mouth can only manage a very weak, "thank you." And in all honesty isn't really a thank you for here and now, but rather it is a thank you in expectation for what God will do to bring us through and create something new within us. That confident hope, reserved for Jesus alone. We have to come to the point we can rest in the trial and know that God is at work within us. And actually let Him do the work.

Be assured and understand that the trial and proving of your faith bring out endurance and steadfastness and patience.
But let endurance and steadfastness and patience have full play and do a thorough work, so that you may be [people] perfectly and fully developed [with no defects], lacking in nothing.
James 1:3-4 AMP

Question for today, are you feeling like you have no strength, no patience and no wisdom for the trial and/or suffering you are currently facing? If yes, let's take on the challenge of exulting and triumphing in our troubles. Let's start by thanking God for what He is doing in us at this time.

Thank you God that you are at work in each of us during the times of trial. Thank you that you are continually perfecting us. Please forgive us for when we have held on to pride and self-righteousness and not given you room in our lives to do what you want to do. Please help us to be still and know that You are God, and to know and recognise your voice. Thank you for your perfect peace in our lives every hour of every day. In Jesus Name, Amen.

[We pray] that you may be invigorated and strengthened with all power according to the might of His glory, [to exercise] every kind of endurance and patience (perseverance and forbearance) with joy,
Giving thanks to the Father, Who has qualified and made us fit to share the portion which is the inheritance of the saints (God’s holy people) in the LightColossians 1:11-12 AMP





No comments: