Thursday, January 7, 2016

Until I entered the sanctuary of God

Still, when I tried to figure it out,
all I got was a splitting headache ...
Until I entered the sanctuary of God.
Then I saw the whole picture:
Psalm 73:16-17 The Message

Can you relate to this passage of scripture? I certainly can. This very morning in fact, when I woke up, my brain immediately started mulling over a problem - trying to figure it out - what to do etc. Thankfully God has taught me to take time in the mornings to sit and talk to Him - to enter the His sanctuary. And in that time, to lay down my burdens.

Come to Me, all you who labour and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls]. Matthew 11:28 AMP

But this does not happen until we make the choice to enter His sanctuary. And furthermore, when we do sit with God, and listen to what He has to say, we are then able to understand more of His plan.

Until I went into the sanctuary of God; 
then I understood [for I considered] their end;
Psalm 73:17 AMP

We get an understanding that can only come from God. The preceding verse in the Amplified version says,

But when I considered how to understand this, it was too great an effort for me and too painful
Psalm 73:16 AMP

How often has this been the case for you? Our human mind just cannot cope with some situations. We need the wisdom of God to bring peace and order into our minds. It is as Jesus says to us,

Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest (relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls. For My yoke is wholesome (useful, good - not harsh, hard, sharp, or pressing, but comfortable, gracious, and pleasant), and My burden is light and easy to be bourne. Matthew 11:29-30 AMP

I don't know about you, but I love the thought of 'relief, ease, refreshment and blessed quiet' for my soul, no matter what is going on in my life. Jesus says, 'take My yoke and learn of Me' and how do we do that? One key part of His school of learning is entering into His sanctuary. It is not until we go into His sanctuary that we get that understanding. 

And what does that mean to us? It means time. It means giving up something (or things) in and throughout our day to spend time with God. For example, rather than taking five or ten minutes to read what is happening on Facebook, why not use that time to read a devotion app and expect God to teach you something? This is a habit God is helping me develop. I can highly recommend 'Jesus Calling' for this purpose.

Question for today, what changes can you make in your life to help you more regularly enter the sanctuary of God? If you are unsure what to change or how to make the changes, ask God. He is waiting and ready to commune with you and give you more of His understanding.

Nevertheless I am continually with You;
You do hold my right hand.
You will guide me with Your counsel, and afterward receive me to honour and glory.
Whom have I in heaven but You? And I have no delight or desire on earth besides You.
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the Rock and firm Strength of my heart and my Portion forever. 
Psalm 73:23-26 AMP


No comments: