Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Companionship

God is faithful (reliable, trustworthy, and therefore ever true to His promise, and He can be depended on); by Him you were called into companionship and participation with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Corinthians 1:9 AMP

This week I shared this verse with a friend who is facing a difficult circumstance, praying that her companionship with Jesus would help to bring peace and hope. Since then I have been reflecting on my own companionship journey with Jesus.

God, who got you started in this spiritual adventure, shares with us the life of his Son and our Master Jesus. He will never give up on you. Never forget that. 1 Corinthians 1:9 The Message 

From that moment I yielded, asking Jesus Christ to be Lord of my life - almost 20 years ago, I have felt that Jesus was my friend, the one confidante that would always be with me. 

The One I could always seek wisdom from, whatever the question or issue. Three months after becoming a Christian, the question I needed an answer on was, should I say yes to Ken's marriage proposal? I waited six months for His answer on that question - a resounding yes (much to Ken's relief).

If you will turn (repent) and give heed to my reproof, behold, I [Wisdom] will pour out my spirit upon you, I will make my words known to you. Proverbs 1:22

The One I could always ask for help and know that help would be provided, when I couldn't see a way. Soon after we were married, I remember walking past our apartment, looking at the windows, saying, "God those curtains are so embarrassing, it would be great to have some wooden blinds." A couple of days later someone knocked on our door asking to use our apartment for a dog food TV commercial because we had a certain type window. And they wanted to put wooden blinds in all the windows. What's more, they were going to leave the wooden blinds in the window.

I will lift up my eyes to the hills [around Jerusalem, to sacred Mount Zion and Mount Moriah] - from whence shall my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1-2 AMP

The One who always provides comfort and hope in the times of disappointment. After Marshall was born I had two miscarriages. I started to think we wouldn't have any more children. It was a time of many early morning walks along the beach, talking to God, crying out God, seeking His love and reassurance, asking Him to restore hope.

Moreover [let us also be full of joy now!] let us exult and triumph in our troubles and rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that pressure and affliction and hardship produce patient and unswerving endurance. And endurance (fortitude) develops maturity of character (approved faith and tried integrity). And character [of this sort] produces [the habit of] joyful and confident hope of eternal salvation. Such hope never disappoints or deludes of shames us, for God's love has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit Who has been given to us. Romans 5:3-5 AMP

The One who is always listening, never too busy (unlike me, the mum). The One who provides protection in so many different ways. The One who is the source of all we need. The One who is the perfect companion, always, no matter what is going on.

The secret [of the sweet, satisfying companionship of the Lord have they who fear (revere and worship) Him, and He will show them His covenant and reveal to them its [deep, inner meaning]. Psalm 25:14 AMP

Dear Jesus, thank you that you are the perfect companion for each of us. Thank you that you know how we will respond to things in our lives, and thank you that You always have the perfect response to us - Your love and grace. Please help us to be vessels of Your love and grace today. Amen.



No comments: