Tuesday, November 29, 2016

God's wardrobe for us

So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all purpose garment. Never be without it. Colossians 3:12-14 The Message

As Christmas approaches and we have the blessing of going to many end of year celebrations, one of the questions we ask ourselves before each event is, "What shall I wear?"  For me, I don't have an extensive wardrobe so it doesn't take long to answer that question. 

But what are we wearing on the inside? What's happening with our attitudes as we layer on the extra activities of the end of year and Christmas season, to our already sometimes too full lives?  Are we wearing the clothes that God picked out for us?

Clothe yourselves therefore, as God's own chosen ones (His own picked representatives), [who are] purified and holy and well-loved [by God Himself, by putting on behaviour marked by] tender-hearted pity and mercy, kind feeling, a lowly opinion of yourselves, gentle ways, [and] patience [which is tireless and long-suffering, and has the power to endure whatever comes, with good temper]. Colossians 3:12 AMP

Ahhhh - look at that last behaviour mentioned - patience - and how it has been amplified ...

Which is tireless and long-suffering, and how the power to endure whatever comes, with good temper. 

Patience - a fruit of the Holy Spirit. This end of year and Christmas season is a great time to cultivate all of the fruit of the Holy Spirit. We certainly get many opportunities too grow them more, so lets willingly take them and grow.

But the fruit of the [Holy] Spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness, gentleness (meekness, humility), self-control (self-restraint, continence). Against such things there is no law [that can bring a charge]. Galatians 5:22-23 AMP

For me, this morning I woke with a plan in mind for this day.  Mid-blog writing, it becomes evident that the needs of a child has now completely changed my plans. My first thought - really??????? And then the Holy Spirit reminds me of the scripture this blog starts with - choosing to wear the clothes that God has picked out  - and the first one is .... compassion. So I pray,

Heavenly Father, this day is yours, I acknowledge that, and I surrender all my plans. Forgive me for my attitude. Please give me the compassion I need, help me to wear the clothes that you picked out for me today and grow more fruit today. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Question for today, what clothes are you going to wear today? Are you going to choose the clothes God has picked out for you? 

And above all these [put on] love and enfold yourselves with the bond of perfectness [which binds everything together completely in ideal harmony]. And let the peace (soul harmony which comes) from Christ rule (act as umpire continually) in your hearts [deciding and settling with finality all questions that arise in your minds, in that peaceful state] to which as [members of Christ's] one body you were also called [to live]. And be thankful (appreciative), [giving praise to God always]. Colossians 3:15-16 AMP

 

No comments: