Saturday, September 12, 2015

For God alone

For God alone my soul waits in silence; from Him comes my salvation. He only is my Rock and my Salvation, my Defense and my Fortress, I shall not be greatly moved. Psalm 62:1-2 AMP

In this scripture David is telling us that his soul is focused on one thing - God, and that he will not be distracted from that focus. What a challenge that can be for us today, in a world of continual distraction.

Later in that passage, we read that David is using 'self-talk' to remind his soul to stay focused and wait upon God.

My soul, wait only upon God and silently submit to Him; for my hope and expectation are from Him. 
Psalm 62:5 AMP

David then goes on to make some powerful declarations about who God is in his life.

He only is my Rock and my Salvation; He is my Defense and my Fortress, I shall not be moved. With God rests my salvation and my glory; He is my Rock of unyielding strength and impenetrable hardness, and my refuge is in God! 
Psalm 62:6-7 AMP

As you read these scriptures, can you feel faith rising within you? For me, as I read them over and over I feel as though I am moving from a curled up ball to a tall, straight tower, not growing in confidence in myself, but rather growing in confidence in my God and His purposes.

Trust in, lean on, rely on, and have confidence in Him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts before Him. God is a refuge for us (a fortress and a high tower). Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]! Psalm 62:8 AMP

Let's pray. 

Heavenly Father, please forgive us for the times when we seek after people and things other than You. Please help us to come to that place where it is You alone that we seek and wait for. The place where we can declare with confidence that You are our Rock, our Salvation, our Defense and our Fortress and that we shall not be moved. Thank you for your grace that enables us to draw near to You and have Your victory in our lives. In Jesus Name we pray, Amen.

Even when we were dead (slain) by [our own] shortcomings and trespasses, He made us alive together in fellowship and in union with Christ; [He gave us the very life of Christ Himself, the same new life with which He quickened Him, for] it is by grace (His favour and mercy which you did not deserve) that you are saved (delivered from judgement and made partakers of Christ's salvation). 
Ephesians 2:5 AMP

No comments: