Saturday, September 20, 2014

Do not fret

Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, but prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God. And God's peace [shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7 AMP

This is one of the first scriptures I learnt when I became a Christian. My husband told me about it. It has been one of the key scriptures in my life since I was my salvation in November 1996. Even this morning as I think about the next couple of weeks and all that has to be done, I could feel myself starting to fret and become anxious.  So how true to God's form, should He direct me to this scripture this morning.

I have just spent time writing down all the things I am feeling anxious about, the aspects of these events that I am thankful for, making it all known to God. I have in essence handed them all to Him to take care of. I don't want end up like the ones sown among the thorns.

And the ones sown among the thorns are the others who hear the Word; Then the cares and anxieties of the world and the distractions of the age, and the pleasure and delight and false glamour and deceitfulness of riches, and the craving and passionate desire for other things creep in and choke and suffocate the Word, and it becomes fruitless.  Mark 4:18-19 AMP

Having surrendered my worries, I am now in a place of being able to trust God with all the activities of the next two weeks. The anxiety has gone. I have a peace in my heart, my worries have been displaced, just as The Message bible says,

Before you know it, as sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the centre of your life. Philippians 4:7 MSG

Thank you Jesus! In fact, I am now wholeheartedly expecting a fantastic two weeks. I am expecting two weeks where everything will come together for good, including effective therapy and a strengthening of family relationships. The Holy Spirit has reminded me that God is faithful and trustworthy.

God is faithful (reliable, trustworthy, and therefore ever true to His promise, and He can be depended on); by Him you were called into companionship and participation with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Corinthians 1:9 AMP

Thank you Jesus, that I am participating with you in life. Thank you Jesus, that you are my companion wherever I go. I do not go alone. Thank you Holy Spirit that you have reminded me of these truths this morning.

Question for today, are you fretting and anxious about some aspect of your life? Why not try surrendering those worries to God, with thanksgiving, and in return receiving that awesome peace? And have an expectant heart for what He is going to do in your life.

And therefore the Lord [earnestly] waits [expecting, looking and longing] to be gracious to you; and therefore He lifts Himself up, that He may have mercy on you and show loving-kindness to you. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) are all those who [earnestly] wait for Him, who expect and look and long for Him [for His victory, His favour, His love, His peace, His joy, and His matchless, unbroken companionship]! Isaiah 30:18 AMP



No comments: