Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The goal and purpose of my life

"You've heard me tell you, 'I'm going away, and I'm coming back.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I'm on my way to the Father because the Father is the goal and purpose of my life.
"I've told you this ahead of time, before it happens, so that when it does happen, the confirmation will deepen your belief in me. I'll not be talking with you much more like this because the chief of this godless world is about to attack. But don't worry - he has nothing on me, no claim on me. But so the world might know how thoroughly I love the Father, I am carrying out my Father's instructions right down to the last detail. "Get up. Let's go. It's time to leave here. John 14:28-31 MSG

Jesus had no doubts about the goal and purpose of his life. He was meticulous in ensuring that He did exactly what His Father asked him to do, carrying out his instructions right down to the last detail.  He was the ultimate example of obedience and faithfulness, culminating in the act of sacrifice for us.

And going a little farther, He threw Himself upon the ground on His face and prayed saying, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass away from Me; nevertheless, not what I will [not what I desire], but as You will and desire. Matthew 26:39 AMP

Jesus knew that the path He was on was not going to be all smooth sailing. He was very aware of that the chief of this godless world was roaming around, looking for someone to devour. 

Be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour.  1 Peter 5:8AMP

But Jesus also knew the authority and power He had over Satan. The Amplified bible puts it this way.

I will not talk with you much more, for the prince(evil genius, ruler) of the world is coming. And he has no claim on Me. [He has nothing in common with Me; there is nothing in Me that belongs to him, and he has no power over Me.] John 14:30 AMP

Questions for today. What about us, do we have a clear understanding of the goal and purpose for our lives? Do we know without doubt what God has purposed for us now and in the future? What are we doing to fulfill that purpose? And equally important, what preparation are we doing for when the attack from Satan comes to slow us down? What are we doing to ensure that we stand firm in our faith, knowing in our heart of hearts that Satan has no power over us?

In answer to these questions, there are four words that come to mind, humble, repent, grace, love. Two actions for us to do, humble ourselves and repent. Two actions that God always does, gives us grace and shows us  unconditional love.

So be subject to God. Resist the devil [stand firm against him], and he will flee from you. Come close to God and He will come close to you. [Recognise that you are] sinners, get you soiled hands clean; [realise that you have been disloyal] wavering individuals with divided interests, and purify your hearts [of your spiritual adultery]. [As you draw near to God] be deeply penitent and grieve, even weep [over your disloyalty]. Let your laughter be turned to grief and your mirth to dejection and heartfelt shame [for your sins]. Humbler yourselves [feeling very insignificant] in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you [He will lift you up and make your lives significant. James 4:7-10 AMP

By humbling ourselves and repenting, we put ourselves in a position where we can start to understand God's love for us and His purpose for our life. We will have a desire to be obedient and faithful, to carry out His instructions right down to the last detail. He will lift you up and make your life significant.



No comments: