Sunday, September 14, 2014

Strength is for service

Those of us who are strong and able in the faith need to step in and lend a hand to those who falter, and not just do what is most convenient for us. Strength is for service, not status. Each one of us needs to look after the good of the people around us, asking ourselves, "How can I help?" Romans 15:1-2 MSG

The words, 'Strength is for service, not status' really stood out to me today. With all I have experienced over the past 3 or so years, people have often said to me, 'you are so strong'. As I reflect on that time now, yes it would seem as though I have been strong most of the time. However it has not been my strength getting me through each day, it has been Jesus' strength in me. And there have certainly been many days when I have felt completely hopeless and powerless, devoid of any strength to make it through the day. On those days I have experienced the truth of Isaiah 40:29-31

He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless. Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion. But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. The will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:29-31 NLT

On those days of faltering, those who were strong and able in their faith did step in and lend a hand to me, who was faltering. I am forever grateful for their spiritual wisdom and practical support that upheld me in a time of great need.  

Now my life circumstances are stable, God has been revealing more and more to me, His purposes for the new strength and understanding I have gained during that season of trial and testing. It has not just been so I can say 'Hey look what we have faced and made it through'. No, rather it has been an 'education process', the output of which is to now be used to serve and share with others. This strength and learning is to be used to help others, as emotionally difficult as that sometimes is.

That's exactly what Jesus did. He didn't make it easy for himself by avoiding people's troubles, but waded right in and helped out. "I took on the troubles of the troubled," is the way Scripture puts it. Even if it was written in Scripture long ago, you can be sure it's written for us. God wants the combination of his steady, constant calling and warm, personal counsel in Scripture to come to characterize us, keeping us alert for whatever he will do next. Romans 15:3-5 MSG

As the scripture says, Jesus didn't take the easy route, he waded right in and helped out. For us, if we choose to do the same, we need to remember we have the Holy Spirit with us. The Holy Spirit will help us to understand where, when and what help is needed.

So too the [Holy] Spirit comes to our aid and bears us up in our weaknesses; for we do not know what prayer to offer nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the Spirit Himself goes to meet our supplication and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable yearnings and groanings too deep for utterance. And He Who searches the hearts of men knows what is in the mind of the [Holy] Spirit [what His intent is], because the Spirit intercedes and pleads [before God] in behalf of the saints according to and in harmony with God's will. Romans 8:26-27 AMP 

Questions for today, has there been some experience in your life that resulted in you gaining new strength and understanding from God?  Have you asked God what He wants you to do what you have learnt? Be bold and courageous in His Name. Use the strength He has given you for service. You are not alone, the Holy Spirit is willing and able to help you. 

No comments: