Sunday, September 28, 2014

Listen and understand

Salt is good for seasoning. But if it loses its flavor, how do you make it salty again? Flavorless salt is good neither for the soil nor for the manure pile. It is thrown away. Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand! Luke 14:34-35 NLT

How do we remain salty (a true disciple) so we can be good for seasoning (effective for Jesus)? One part of the answer to this question is given to us in the very next sentence, 'listen and understand'. Are we good listeners? Do we spend more time talking to God, telling him our problems, than being still and listening to what He wants to say to us?  God wants us to listen to Him, hear what He is saying and obey His voice.

But this thing I did command them: Listen to and obey My voice, and I will be your God and you will be My people; and walk in the whole way that I command you, that it may be well with you. Jeremiah 7:24 AMP

I have found that it can be challenging to sit and listen to God. I want to keep talking, not necessarily telling Him about my worries and concerns, but also thanking Him for all He is, all He has done and all He is going to do. It is almost as though I have to put my hand over my mouth to stop the words coming out. Then once I have stopped talking, the next challenge is to slow my mind as it rattles through all the thoughts of this day, and tomorrow. I have to literally speak to my mind, telling it to be quiet, and listen for God's words.

But listening is not enough, we need to get the understanding too. As Jesus tells us,

He who has ears to hear, let him be listening and let him consider and perceive and comprehend by hearing. Matthew 11:15 AMP

Consider, contemplate mentally; perceive, apprehend with the mind; comprehend, grasp mentally. From my experience in listening to God, considering, perceiving and comprehending doesn't usually happen in a matter of minutes. It take time!  Specific time set aside for the purpose of hearing from God.  Specific time set aside from the interruptions of every day life. Specific time set aside, that I cannot do without, if I want to live my life successfully for Him. How can I know what God wants me to do today if I don't take the time to listen to Him and understand what He is saying to me? I want to be salt that is good for seasoning!

Question for today, how is your saltiness? Are you full of flavour, listening and understanding God's will for you each day so you can live out His purpose for your life? If not, ask God to help you make that specific time each day to listen and hear His voice. Ask him to help you to quiet your mouth and your mind, making space to hear from Him. He wants to instruct you and teach you.

I [the Lord] will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with My eyes upon you. Be not like the horse or the mule, which lack understanding, which must have their mouths held firm with bit and bridle, or else they will not come with you. Many are the sorrows of the wicked, but he who trust in, relies on, and confidently leans on the Lord shall be compassed about with mercy and with loving-kindness. Be glad in the Lord and rejoice, you [uncompromisingly] righteous [you who are upright and in right standing with Him]; shout for joy, all you upright in heart! Psalm 32:8-11 AMP


No comments: