Tuesday, September 2, 2014

You never looked to him

You assessed your defenses that Day, inspected your arsenal of weapons in the Forest Armory. You found the weak places in the city walls that needed repair. You secured the water supply at the Lower Pool. You took an inventory of the houses in Jerusalem and tore down some to get bricks to fortify the city wall. You built a large cistern to ensure plenty of water. You looked and looked and looked, but you never looked to him who gave you this city, never once consulted the One who has long had plans for this city. Isaiah 22:8-11 MSG

When we are faced with a challenging circumstance, how often do we look for solutions in many different places and solutions from many different people, and forget to look to God for the answer? Or leave God to be the last one on our list to consult? 

The world we live in constantly promotes independence and self-reliance. To live God's way, is to live with complete reliance on God to be your 'everything'. As Christians, we are called to become more like Jesus, and here is what He had to say about His relationship with God.

I am able to do nothing from Myself [independently, of My own accord - but only as I am taught by God and as I get His orders]. Even as I hear, I judge [I decide as I am bidden to decide. As the voice comes to Me, so I give a decision], and My judgement is right (just, righteous), because I do not seek or consult My own will [I have no desire to do what is pleasing to Myself, My own aim, My own purpose] but only the will and pleasure of the Father Who sent Me. John 5:30 AMP

To live this way, I think we need to purposefully cut off the 'noise' around us. As James says, 

My dear friends, don't let public opinion influence how you live out our glorious, Christ-originated faith. James 2:1 MSG

We need to actively be in God's word, seeking His truth, letting it soak into our hearts, so when the testing and trials come, we don't give a second thought as to where to find the answer. We need to act on what we know is God's truth.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that you are a listener when you are anything but, letting the Word go in one ear and out the other. Act on what you hear! Those who hear and don't act are like those who glance in the mirror, walk away, and two minutes later have no idea who they are, what they look like. James 1:22-24 MSG

Questions for today, do you know who you are? In times of testing and trial, who or what would you look to? Is God at the top of your list? If not, consider praying this prayer with me.

Heavenly Father, please forgive us today for letting ourselves be influenced by the world rather than by You and Your truth alone. Before the trials and tests come, please help us to understand more of Your truth. Please help us to know  in our hearts exactly who we are in You. So when the trials and tests come, we immediately look to You alone. In Jesus Name, Amen

So turn to me and be helped - saved! - everyone, whoever and wherever you are. I am GOD, the only God there is, the one and only. I promise in my own name: Every word out of my mouth does what it says. I never take back what I say. Everyone is going to end up kneeling before me. Everyone is going to end up saying of me, Yes! Salvation and strength are in GOD!" Isaiah 45:22-24 AMP



No comments: