Thursday, November 13, 2014

Sticking with God

And those upon the rock [are the people] who, when they hear [the Word], receive and welcome it with joy; but these have no root. They believe for a while, and in time of trial and temptation fall away (withdraw and stand aloof)...But as for that [seed] in the good soil, these are [the people] who, hearing the Word, hold it fast in a just (noble, virtuous) and worthy heart, and steadily bring forth fruit with patience. Luke 8:13,15 AMP

This morning I have been reflecting on some of the traumas our family has experienced, and where we are now. A friend visited our home this week. She commented on what a very different  household it was to 12 months ago. God has done some amazing things in all our lives. The restoration he has bought to us is incredible.

During this time of reflection, I wondered momentarily what the outcome would have been, if in the midst of the very dark times, we had given up on God. What if we had walked away from all we believed in, because our circumstances seemed so hopeless? I am pretty sure we wouldn't be where we are today, with a marriage that continues to thrive, children who are learning who they are in Christ, all of us actively involved in our church and wider community.

I will be forever grateful that we made the choice to position ourselves to continue to hear God's word and hold it fast in our hearts, despite the circumstances. As The Message bible puts it, we chose to stick with God.

But the seed in the good earth - these are the good-hearts who seize the Word and hold on no matter what, sticking with it until there's a harvest. Luke 8:15 The Message

Please don't thinking I am boasting about making this choice. I am not. I am merely saying that we had a choice to make, and we chose to stick with God. And now, as the years pass by we are seeing that harvest both in our own lives and in those around us. What a blessing it is to see. Please be encouraged to stick with God when the going gets tough. I have this verse at the front of my diary, to remind me of the decision I have made.

But me, I'm not giving up. I'm sticking around to see what GOD will do. I'm waiting for God to make things right. I'm counting on God to listen to me. Micah 7:7 The Message

Sometimes it is only in the years after the trials and tempting, that in reflection you can see just how amazing God's grace on your life has been. That has certainly been the case for me. Don't give up on God. Stick with Him, so in the years to come, you too can see the harvest, and share about His grace in your life.

Question for today, where are you planted? on the rock? or in the good soil? Ask God to show you what needs to change in your life so you can be planted in the good soil. If you are already planted in the good soil, ask God to show you what you need to do to grow your roots stronger and deeper.







No comments: