Sunday, November 23, 2014

Peace I leave with you

Peace I leave with you; My [own] peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.] John 14:27 AMP

His peace. What a magnificent gift Jesus' peace is for us! How would our lives be if we lived every moment of our lives out in His peace? How differently we would cope with circumstances if we always stopped allowing ourselves to be agitated and disturbed. How much more would we enjoy life if we didn't permit ourselves to be fearful, intimidated and cowardly and unsettled?

Here is a description of the peace that Jesus has given to us,

And God's peace [shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7 AMP

Over the past few years I have had times when I have experienced that beautiful peace. Times when I have pressed into God completely and trusted Him with everything. Had I not done that, I know my life would look very different today. But I am not perfect and there have been many times that I have let fear come in and take over my thoughts and actions. In these times of fear I somehow lose sight of who Jesus is in my life and become consumed with my circumstances. I forget to put God's hedge of protection around my mind. I forget to do exactly what the next scripture tells us to do, focus on what is true! 

For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them]. Philippians 4:8 AMP

Question for today, are you experiencing the gift of Jesus' peace in your life today? If not, ask God to help you take every thought that is preventing you from living in peace, captive into the obedience to Christ. 

I love the way The Message bible tells us to how to take captive our thoughts.

We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ. 2 Corinthians 10:5 The Message.

Then get ready to receive the peace of Jesus Christ that passes all understanding!


No comments: