Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Be of good courage

[What, what would have become of me] had I not believed that I would see the Lord's goodness in the land of the living! Wait and hope for and expect the Lord; be brave and of good courage and let your heart be stout and enduring. Yes, wait for and hope for and expect the Lord. Psalm 27:13-14 AMP

Just recently I found myself in a situation that required an immense amount of courage. I hadn't expected to be faced with this circumstance. At first I wanted to 'run away and hide' because I felt emotionally it was too difficult to cope with. I prayed with some friends and asked God to change the situation. But even as I prayed that prayer I felt the still small voice of God say to me, 'I will decide what is going to happen here.'

When I heard that response, I knew I needed to ask God to help me be brave and have good courage. In fact, it felt like I physically reached out to God and 'took courage' from Him, just like the Israelites did.

But the people, the men of Israel, took courage and strengthened themselves and again set their battle line in the same place where they formed it the first day. Judges 20:22 AMP

This was a battle I had lined up to fight previously too, but here I was again,  having to rely completely on God to give me the courage to stand firm and believe in His Goodness alone.

I remembered listening to the audio book, Talent is never enough, by John Maxwell. In the chapter, Courage tests your talent, he spoke about 'growing in courage by deciding to do the right thing instead of the expedient thing, and watching your horizons expand with each courageous act.' 

As I remembered the teaching from that book, I thought, 'I know I am here for a reason. God has something He wants to do in me, and possibly through me. So I will be brave. I chose to trust in God's plan.'

Be of good courage and let us behave ourselves courageously for our people and for the cities of God; and may the Lord do what is good in His sight. 1 Chronicles 19:13 AMP

God did help me to be brave. He gave me good courage and I was blessed. My horizons were widened. I experienced His goodness in the land of the living. I am glad I didn't 'run away and hide' but rather, chose to face my fear in His strength.

Question for today, do you need good courage for a circumstance you are facing? Ask God to give you the courage you need. Reach out and take it. Trust that God will do what is good in His sight. Make a choice to believe that He will not fail you or forsake you. He loves you.

Be strong, courageous, and firm; fear not nor be in terror before them, for it is the Lord your God Who goes with you He will not fail you or forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6 AMP




No comments: