Saturday, May 2, 2015

Your word is a lamp to my feet

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119:105 AMP

Over the past few days I have been reflecting on our life since January 2011 when Victoria was diagnosed with a brain tumour. I have been thinking about how we can seemingly life live so 'normally' now, knowing that the tumour is still in her brain. Yesterday I shared the following scripture on the Victoria Grace Conqueror blog.

Every word of God is tried and purified; He is a shield to those who trust and take refuge in Him. Proverbs 30:5 AMP

Since sharing that scripture the Holy Spirit has prompted me to look back through all the scriptures He has encouraged me with during this journey, and have shared on the Conqueror blog. When I printed out the page Encouraging Scriptures and counted up the scriptures, do you know what they totalled? 151 scriptures! I haven't done a detailed analysis,  but I am sure that there are some that He has given me more than once. But I did count up the number of Psalms - 38! Again there will be some duplicates.

The constancy of God's word in our life has, I believe, been one of the reasons we have been able to stand, trust and live in hope. It is as Psalm 1 says

Blessed in the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the LORD, and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither - whatever they do prospers. Psalm 1:1-3 NIV

I am not sharing this with the purpose of boasting in what we have done, but rather to boast of how our God, our Heavenly Father has continually provided us with strength and hope throughout this journey. Of course there have been many moments of doubt, but it has been His word that has encouraged us and lifted us from a place of despair.

The works of His hands are [absolute] truth and justice [faithful and right]; and all His decrees and precepts are sure (fixed, established and trustworthy). They stand fast and are established forever and ever and are done in [absolute] truth and uprightness. He has sent redemption to His people; He has commanded His covenant to be forever; holy is His name, inspiring awe, reverence, and godly fear. The reverent fear and worship of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom and skill [the preceding and the first essential, the prerequisite and the alphabet]; a good understanding, wisdom, and meaning have all those who do [the will of the Lord]. Their praise of Him endures forever. Psalm 111:7-10 AMP

Question for today, are you in a place of despair? I encourage you to open your bible and read with expectancy. Expectancy that God will speak to you about your situation through His word. I would encourage you too, to journal the scriptures He gives to you. Then in later months or years you can look back on them and be reminded of how He carried you through the tough times, and get deeper revelation of His love for you.

As for God, His way is perfect! The word of the Lord is tested and tried; He is a shield to all those who take refuge and put their trust in Him. Psalm 18:30 AMP

No comments: