Thursday, January 29, 2015

An acceptable and opportune time

But as for me, my prayer is to You, O Lord. At an acceptable and opportune time, O God, in the multitude of Your mercy and the abundance of Your loving-kindness hear me, and in the truth and faithfulness of Your salvation answer me. Psalm 69:13 AMP

We pray. We want an answer. Now. Sometimes it can be very difficult when the answer doesn't come in the 'now' and we have to wait for God's acceptable and opportune timing. What can we do while we wait?

Here are some of the things David did while he waited for God's answers.

David asks God to guide him in His truth and faithfulness.
Guide me in Your truth and faithfulness and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; for You [You only and altogether] do I wait [expectantly] all the day long. Psalm 25:5 AMP

It may well be that in that time waiting and continually seeking God's guiding and teaching,  your prayer, or the heart motive behind your prayer changes.

David also encourages us to wait with bravery and courage. 
Wait and hope for and expect the Lord; be brave and of good courage and let your heart by stout and enduring. Yes, wait for and hope for and expect the Lord. Psalm 27:14 AMP

Today, for me, in my waiting, I am not feeling particularly brave and certainly not of good courage. Today, my ability to endure is waning. It is times like this that I need to go back to the prior verse, Psalm 27:13

[What, would have become of me] had I not believed that I would see the Lord's goodness in the land of the living!

I have to be purposeful in taking all those fearful thoughts captive and remember all the acceptable and opportune answers to prayer God has provided in the past. I have to remind myself that

Behold, the Lord's eye is upon those who fear Him [who revere and worship Him with awe], who wait for Him and hope in His mercy and loving-kindness, to deliver them from death and keep them alive in famine. Our inner selves wait [earnestly] for the Lord; He is our Help and our Shield. Psalm 33:18-20 AMP

Today, if there is something that you have prayed for and are still waiting for the answer to manifest, why not ask God to guide and teach you during the waiting? Ask God to show you what it is He wants you to learn between now and the acceptable and opportune time when the answer comes. Ask Him to give you the bravery and courage you need during this waiting time. Thank God for the mercy and loving-kindness He has shown us all, the sinners, through the salvation He freely gives us through Jesus. A truly acceptable and opportune answer to our prayers.

For in Him does our heart rejoice, because we have trusted (relied on and been confident) in His holy name. Let your mercy and loving-kindness, O Lord, be upon us, in proportion to our waiting and hoping for You. Psalm 33:21-22 AMP

No comments: