Saturday, January 24, 2015

The ways of the Lord

Who is wise, that he may understand these things? Prudent, that he may know them? For the ways of the Lord are right and the [uncompromisingly] just shall walk in them, but transgressors shall stumble and fall in them. Hosea 14:9 AMP

The ways of the Lord are right. Sometimes when things happen in our lives or around it us, it can be hard to acknowledge that. We need to be making every effort we to understand all we possibly can about God and who He is. The Message Bible puts it this way.

If you want to live well, make sure you understand all of this. If you know what's good for you, you'll learn this inside and out. GOD's paths get you where you want to go. Right-living people walk them easily; wrong-living people are always tripping and stumbling. Hosea 14:9 The Message

So how do we get understanding of the ways of the Lord? How do we learn this inside and out? We need to be making God and everything about Him, a priority in our lives. For me, this prioritisation is a constant battle, as there are so many other people and things calling for my time. I have had to learn how to put boundaries in place to ensure my day includes time to sit with God, learn about God and commune with God. This has not been easy for me, as I like to say 'yes' to people, rather than 'no'. I have had to learn to let go of needing the approval of people, and look completely to God for that approval. Some days I find I am still on that journey!

For they loved the approval and the praise and glory that come from men [instead of and] more than the glory that comes from God. [They valued their credit with men more than their credit with God.] John 12:43 AMP

Another thing I have been learning over the years, is that for me to be able to say 'yes' in a healthy way, I need to know the ways of the Lord, so I know what He wants me to say 'yes' to. And I can only know that by spending time with Him, making Him the 'number one' in my day. 

When I asked God what I needed to change in my life, to really make Him 'number one', He said, "Get up earlier (4am) and spend more time with me. Don't worry about getting through the rest of the day, I will sustain you, if you put me first."

So for the past 6 months that is what I have been doing most mornings. I didn't think it was possible, but in His strength it is. He has indeed sustained me. More importantly, my understanding of God and His ways has grown immensely. 

Question for today, how are you going in growing in your understanding of the ways of the Lord? If you think there is some adjustment required, ask God what He wants you to do change to help you understand more about Him. Be encouraged, God has a plan. Be brave, do what He says, and understanding will come.

And they sang the song of Moses the servant of God and the song of the Lamb, saying, Mighty and marvelous are Your works, O Lord God the Omnipotent! Righteous (just) and true are Your ways, O Sovereign of the ages (King of the nations)! Revelation 15:3 AMP


No comments: