Friday, January 9, 2015

Him Who infuses inner strength

Not that I am implying that I was in any personal want, for I have learned how to be content (satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or disquieted) in whatever state I am. I know how to be abased and live humbly in straitened circumstances, and I know also how to enjoy plenty and live in abundance. I have learned in any and all circumstances the secret of facing every situation, whether well-fed or going hungry, having a sufficiency and enough to spare or going without and bring in want. I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency].  Philippians 4:10-13 AMP

For the past seven years I feel as though I have been attending the 'school of learning to be content'.  I must say, I was not always a willing student! When the financial challenges first started in 2008 with the onset of the Global Financial Crisis, I had difficulty believing that our circumstances could change so quickly, and so negatively. Especially when I felt we had made wise decisions with our finances, saving, keeping debt to a minimum where possible, tithing and giving.

Throughout these seven years we have had to sell assets, downsize our business, drastically reduce our personal expenditure (which now I can see was excessive in some areas), and in the most difficult times humbly ask for help from extended family. 

Throughout these seven years, never we were without food (even if it was cereal for dinner!), clothes and our home. God was extremely gracious to us.

Now as our financial situation has started to improve, I can look back and see what God has taught me during these years. God has taken me on a journey where I have had to make a choice to learn how to be content in whatever state I am. Whilst it has been difficult and very humbling, it has been a journey that has drawn me so much closer to God, just like the parallel journey with our daughter's fight against cancer. I have had to acknowledge in my heart that God is my source, not my husband, not our business. My trust in God has had to move to a whole new level. As I read this scripture,

I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency]. Philippians 4:13 AMP

My heart is screaming, "Yes, Yes, Yes and Amen". This 'school of learning to be content', regardless of finances or health has been tough, so very tough. But today, I can see how I have changed as a result of these circumstances. My challenge now is not to forget what God has taught me over these seven years, so that I will always,

'be content (satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or disquieted) in whatever state I am.' Philippians 4:11b

Question for today, are you attending the 'school of learning to be content'? If yes, can I encourage you that God is the best teacher you will ever have. He knew you before you were born, and knows exactly what you need now. Jesus is infusing you with the inner strength you need. The Holy Spirit is here to help us too.

So too the [Holy] Spirit comes to our aid and bears us up in our weakness; for we do not know what prayer to offer nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the Holy Spirit Himself goes to meet our supplication and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable yearnings and groanings too deep for utterance. Romans 8:26 AMP

Let's hold on to these truths as we learn to be content in whatever state we are in.

Yet amid all these things we are more than conquerors and gain a surpassing victory through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded beyond doubt (am sure) that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities, nor things impending and threatening nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:37-39 AMP

No comments: