Monday, January 12, 2015

Examine and test and evaluate

Examine and test and evaluate your own selves to see whether you are holding to your faith and showing the proper fruits of it. Test and prove yourselves [not Christ]. Do you not yourselves realise and know [thoroughly by an ever-increasing experience] that Jesus Christ is in you - unless you are [counterfeits] disapproved on trial and rejected? 2 Corinthians 13:5 AMP

Examine, test and evaluate, these are not quick activities to be undertaken in five minutes. Particularly when it comes to examining our faith and our fruitfulness. For me, currently, when I think about my personal faith, I am pondering the question more and more, how much of my 'western, white, middle-class culture' have I over-layed on Jesus and His truths? As I learn more about Christians in other cultures.I wonder just how much my culture has influenced my view of Jesus? And how does that influence impact on my fruitfulness?

The Apostle Paul warns us in Romans,

Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you. Romans 12:2 The Message

That well-formed maturity is what I hunger for, to know that I am continually growing in my faith and showing the proper fruits of it. Daily bringing of my heart and mind before God, waiting to hear the still small voice, gives me the opportunity to examine my faith. Daily engaging in life within family, friends, and just people in general, and our business, provides plenty of ways for testing my faith. Daily reading of God's word and reflecting on my handling of various circumstances, based on His truth and wisdom, allows me to evaluate my faith. 

However, it is only God's mercy that enables to me learn from where I have gone astray, and His grace that gives me the strength to continue on.  It is the heart knowledge that Jesus is in me and working through me that provides a hope for the future.

The saying is sure and true and worthy of full and universal acceptance, that Christ Jesus (the Messiah) came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am foremost. But I obtained mercy for the reason that in me, as the the foremost [of sinners], Jesus Christ might show forth and display all His perfect long-suffering and patience for an example to [encourage] those who would thereafter believe on Him for [the gaining of] eternal life. Now to the King of eternity, incorruptible and immortal, invisible, the only God, be honour and glory forever and ever (to the ages of ages). Amen (so be it). 1 Timothy 1:15-17 AMP

Jesus came into the world to save sinners, me, you, everyone, no matter what we have done. He is the hope of the world. 

Question for today, when did you last take time to examine and test and evaluate your faith? And look at the fruit you are showing? If it has been a while, maybe today is a good day to start that process. Start by putting aside some time today to sit and listen to the still small voice. Really listen to what God has to say. Ask God to show you the passages in The Bible that He wants you to read. Read them with the expectation of getting revelation about your personal faith and what might need to change. Ask Jesus to help you make the changes, He is merciful and His grace is sufficient. He came into this world for you.

No comments: