Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Change your mind for the better

From that time Jesus began to preach, crying out, Repent (change your mind for the better, heartily amend your ways, with abhorrence of your past sins), for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. Matthew 4:17 AMP

Over the last few weeks I have been going through my earlier blog posts and grouping them into themes. As I was re-reading them it struck me that there were a lot of posts about learning how to live for God's purposes; pressing into God in the tough times, trusting that He will get you through; understanding the grace that God has gifted to us through the sacrifice of His Son Jesus. These are areas that God has been taking me on a personal journey, teaching me and giving me more understanding.  And I know there is so much more for me to learn!

During this 'review process' the Holy Spirit prompted me to think about repentance and forgiveness. These are two areas that I have 'head knowledge' about, and some understanding. But if I am to be honest, in my daily communications with God, while I am consistent in praising God, thanking God in all circumstances and petitioning Him, I am not consistent in daily repenting and asking for forgiveness for my sins. 

Not a day goes by when I don't think, say or do something wrong. Every day I need to be acknowledging that I am a sinner and it is through Jesus sacrifice that I now have right-standing with God. 

But the tax collector, [merely] standing at a distance, would not even life up his eyes to heaven, but kept striking his breast, saying, O God, be favourable (be gracious, be merciful) to me, the especially wicked sinner that I am! I tell you, this man went down to his home justified (forgiven and made upright and in rightstanding with God), rather than the other man; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted. Luke 18:13-14 AMP

Is my lack of acknowledgement of my sin an issue of pride? Yes! Praying these scriptures daily, asking God to help me with my heart attitude, and listening for His response, is a great place to start my journey of daily repentance.

Search me [thoroughly] O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there is any wicked or hurtful way in me, and lead me to the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23,24 AMP

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right, persevering, and steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10 AMP

I know there is no condemnation in Christ Jesus, and His forgiveness is daily available for me. I know that transformation it is a life-long process. I know that God wants to help me with this process.

And now [brethen], I commit you to God [I deposit you in His charge, entrusting you to His protection and care]. And I commend you to the Word of His grace [to the commands and counsels and promises of His unmerited favour]. It is able to build you up and to give you [your rightful] inheritance among all God's set-apart ones (those consecrated, purified, and transformed of soul). Acts 20:32 AMP

However, it is my responsibility to take time to ask God to check my mind and heart attitude, repent and ask God to help me to change.

Question for today, when did you last ask God to search you thoroughly and know your heart? Perhaps today is a good day to start a daily mind and heart review with God. Remember, God is your Heavenly Father and He loves you unconditionally.

So repent, (change your mind and purpose); turn around and return [to God], that your sins may be erased (blotted out, wiped clean), that times of refreshing (of recovering from the effects of heat, of reviving with fresh air) may come from the presence of the Lord. Acts 3:19 AMP


No comments: