Tuesday, October 7, 2014

GOD sees to it

"Don't lay a hand on that boy! Don't touch him! Now I know how fearlessly you fear God; you didn't hesitate to place your son, your dear son, on the altar for me." Abraham looked up. He saw a ram caught by its horns in the thicket. Abraham took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son. Abraham named that place GOD-Yireh (GOD-Sees-To-It). That's where we get the saying, "On the mountain of GOD, he sees to it." Genesis 22:12-14 MSG

Whenever I read this passage of scripture I find myself asking, 'Would I do the same as Abraham?' 'Do I fearlessly fear God enough to place one of my children on the altar if God asked me to?'

The closest I have come to this situation is when I took Victoria to the emergency department because she kept falling over when she tried to walk. After about five hours of being assessed by various doctors, it was at the direction of the Neurologist (not God) that Victoria was laid out on the bed for the CT scanner. It was midnight. I remember so clearly that moment,  I stood beside the bed, which may as well have been an altar. All I could do was offer up this prayer to God, 'God, please give her and us the strength to get through this, whatever the outcome is.' For the entire scan I stood there praying. Victoria blissfully went to sleep. Thirty minutes later the neurologist asked me to sit down and told me, 'There is a mass in your child's brain.' 

So now, our child had been placed on the altar, not out of obedience to God, as with Abraham, but by the hand of illness. We chose to continue to trust God in this circumstance. We chose the Philippians 4:6 approach.

Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance, and in everything, but prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God. Philippians 4:6 AMP

Almost four years later since that night, our daughter is still with us. Of course during these years we faltered from time to time, and the anxiety has crept in. But in our heart of hearts, we have stuck with God. 

But me, I'm not giving up. I'm sticking around to see what GOD will do. I'm waiting for God to make things right. I'm counting on God to listen to me. Micah 7:7 MSG

We are choosing daily to trust that God is sticking with us too. 

And GOD said, "Good eyes! I'm sticking with you. I'll make every word I give you come true." Jeremiah 1:12 MSG

So whilst we may not have the faith and fear of God that Abraham did, each of us are faced with circumstances that challenge our faith. 

Question for today, when those challenging circumstances arise, are you going to believe that you are in a 'GOD-Sees-To-It' place? If you are in the midst of such trials now, have you made a decision to stick with God, putting your whole trust in Him, knowing that He is going to stick with you?

The works of His hands are [absolute] truth and justice [faithful and right]; and all His decrees and precepts are sure (fixed, established, and trustworthy). Psalm 111:7 AMP


 

No comments: