Saturday, October 25, 2014

Staying alert and in top condition

You've all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You're after one that's gold eternally. I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself. 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 The Message

This scripture tells us that 'All good athletes train hard'. In the context of those of us choosing to life live as a Christian, what does 'train hard' mean? How do we do to 'stay alert and keep in tip top condition' ?

For me, step one in 'training hard' is setting aside time each day to be in God's presence, listening and talking with Him.

'Seek, inquire of and for the Lord and crave Him and His strength (His might and inflexibility to temptation); seek and required His face and His presence [continually] evermore.' Psalm 105:4 AMP

Seeking His presence is normally the first thing I do each day I get up. The house is quiet, except for worship music. Thankfulness is on my lips as I consider all Jesus has done for me, and all God has done, is doing in the lives of our family. I thank Him in expectancy of what He will do and claim His promises for our family.

Thank [God] in everything [no matter what the circumstances may be, be thankful and give thanks], for this is the will of God for you [who are] in Christ Jesus [the Revealer and Mediator of that will]. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 AMP

Next I move into His word, hungry for what God is going to teach and encourage me with that day. Expecting that He will always give me exactly what I need, as He already knows what is going to happen in my day. He has gone before me. , God knows what I will need to have in my heart to get through the day and stay on His path.

How sweet are Your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through Your precepts I get understanding; therefore I had every false way. Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119:103-105 AMP

My steps have held closely to Your paths [to the tracks of the One Who has gone on before]; my feet have not slipped. Psalm 17:5 AMP

Once strengthened and encouraged by God's word, the petitioning begins. Petitioning for myself, our family, friends, school, church, and more. 

Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God. Philippians 4:6 AMP

Even though it seems 'in the natural' that some of these requests have yet to be answered, I continue to petition, encouraged by the answers that have come. I choose to believe that God is good and He is faithful. 

Finally in this time of initial daily communication with God, I surrender my day to Him. I lay down my plans and thoughts about the day, and give complete control to Him. Sometimes though in the day I try to take control back, and that's when things really go wrong! It is much better to stay with His plan!

After 'training hard' for the day by sitting in God's presence, I have the peace and confidence to keep running the race for the gold eternally. In essence,

I have strength for all things in Christ who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency]. Philippians 4:13 AMP

Question for today, what are you doing to 'stay alert and in top condition' in your Christian walk? What steps are you taking to run hard for the finish line? Do you need to make any adjustments to your training plan? Ask God to show you how you can best run for the gold eternal. 

No comments: